Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Welcome!!!
Hello and welcome to my site. A personal page for me to blog about my experiences, spur of the moment thoughts, feelings, travel, and etc. I hope you have fun reading my entries as much as I enjoyed writing them. Please feel free to leave your comments and messages.

Alms


I went to LTO (Land Transportation Office) today to renew my car registration. While I was waiting for the result of my emission test, a really old woman caught my attention. She was begging for some spare change. I felt really sorry for her given the condition of her age and appearance. I think she already has osteoporosis or something, because she walked like a humpback. She was carrying a wooden stick that served as her cane. She was very thin and all wrinkled up. A lot of people felt sorry for her like the way I did. As she was passing by, people were offering her food and money. I was suppose to give her the coins inside my pocket but she was too far away from me already.

After the emission test, I sat in the waiting area to pay for the renewal fee. I looked across the room, and saw the old lady again. She was sitting on one of the benches, resting. A good samaritan, talked to her and asked if she had already eaten... She replied, "Not yet." So, the guy invited her to eat in an eatery nearby saying that it was his treat. I was so shocked when the old lady answered, "I'm ok... But could you give me money instead?" The guy became furious because of this and didn't hesitate to give the old woman a follow up question on to why she was refusing the food and just wanted money. She suddenly bursted into tears and told us that if she didn't bring money back to his boss, she will be beaten up.

Other people who overheard the conversation was heartbroken by the story, that's why a few of the them gave the old woman some snacks and some money. She was smiling and was very grateful to those people that helped her. I will never forget her face. I was just really sad to see someone going through something like that. It made me think about my grandmother. I wouldn't want her to end up like that ever. And it makes you appreciate the things you have around you more.



Photo from Google Images

8 Comments:

  1. ACRYLIQUE said...
    WOW! that's harsh. hope she'll be fine.
    nicquee said...
    Moments like this makes me hate the government more!

    Poor old woman. Dapat nasa bahay na lang siya sa mga panahon na ito at nakikipaglaro sa mga apo niya! Pero eto, namamalimos siya para sa mga walang pusong sindikato!
    grace said...
    shooot.

    kakaawa. ayoko ng ganun.


    grabe. Bakit kasi yungmga sindikato na yan di na lang magtrabaho!!!
    josie said...
    what was she doing when she was younger and strong, did she ever thought of her future? We have nursing homes for the aged, she should apply in there.
    merlyn said...
    kawawa naman! asan na 'yong family nya? good that there are some people have a good heart.
    Bailey Baretto said...
    @ Josie: I don't know if she had thoughts about her future back when she was young. She was just some random old lady that I was fortunate enough to meet.

    I also don't know if we have free nursing homes here in the Philippines.

    @ nicquee: I so agree with you. The government oversees the senior citizens since they're just a minority in our population as of the moment. But these are the people that needs attention too. I so pity those old people that has no family to watch over them.

    They should be cared of and respected.
    Analou and Bones said...
    I felt sorry for her but on the other hand....she has a boss, meaning all the money she has been working for....begging will be given to this evil person. Hope that "boss" will be punished as soon as possible. He has no heart of letting the old lady work. He is one of the culprit in our society, coward and lazy. I am sorry....I am just mad of this people that taking advantage to the weak, like that old lady.
    Bailey Baretto said...
    @ analou and bones: i soooo feel for you girl :)

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home